Limoncello – a divine Italian liqueur – soaked up in our own special flat cupcakes with lots of cream make for one ridiculously good dessert or a great accompaniment for afternoon tea!
100g caster sugar
Tiny pinch salt
2 medium eggs
100g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
150ml bottled/fresh lime juice
150g caster sugar
50ml Limoncello liqueur
80g icing sugar
Pink food colouring
Cream (whipped double cream/squirty cream)
- Note: make sure eggs and butter room temp before starting!
- Heat oven to 180C
- Cream together the butter, sugar, salt until pale and fluffy and beat in the eggs slowly (add a little flour if the mixture starts to curdle)
- Add in the flour or the rest of the flour – depending on whether you used some to prevent the mixture curdling!
- Divide mixture into well greased non-stick cupcake tin tray and bake for 15-20 mins
- Make syrup by heating the lime juice and sugar in a pan and bring to the boil; allow this to cool before you add the Limoncello liqueur
- Once the cakes are out of the oven wait 10mins or so before you brush the syrup on top (be generous!)
- Allow the liqueur to soak into the sponge while you make the icing: simply cream the icing sugar and butter and food colouring together (we did ours slightly differently but if you want standard butter icing then this is the format)
- Pipe cream on top and indulge!
By Melodie Walter