This week we bring to you sweet smoothies: seductive strawberry, crisp pear, sweet rhubarb with an accompaniment of exotically creamy coconut milk, yoghurt, banana and spice.
As you know, we can’t get enough of a good spring-summer strawberry, so we decided to make our own cool beverages to keep us happy while we laid about in the beautiful sunshine over the bank holiday weekend!
100g strawberries (cut in to quarters)
2 small pears (diced)
1 banana (sliced)
3 sticks of rhubarb (stewed)
400ml coconut milk
1 small pot of plain yoghurt
½ tsp cinnamon
- The rhubarb needs to be stewed and cooled, this can be done a few hours in advance. Chop the rhubarb in to bitesize chunks and then put them in to a saucepan with a little water and a spoonful of sugar and gently stew for about 5 minutes. Leave the stewed rhubarb to cool and then put it in to the fridge for an hour.
- When you are ready to make your smoothie, whizz the strawberries and rhubarb and yoghurt together with the cinnamon in a blender until the mixture is smooth. Pour the mixture in to your glasses equally.
- Next blend half of the coconut milk, the diced pear and the sliced banana until the mixture is smooth. Pour this blend of fruit on top of the rhubarb and strawberry mixture.
- Finally, divide the leftover coconut milk between the two glasses so that you have a nice white coconut milk topping.
- Add a straw and your smoothie is ready to drink!
By Melodie Walter