Here are some très feminine buttery buttercream biscuits that we think make a great gift idea and a sweet alternative to cupcakes!
For the biscuit
10 oz plain flour
5 oz caster sugar
8 oz soft butter, diced
1 large egg yolk
2 tsp vanilla essence
½ tsp salt
For the butter cream
2 oz softened butter
3 oz icing sugar, sifted
Few drops vanilla essence
1 tsp water
For the decoration
Icing sugar 2/3 oz
Water (only enough to mix sugar into smooth mixture)
Food colouring (green and blue)
Ready to roll white icing (if preferred)
Butterfly cookie cutter
1 pack of pretty ‘n’ pink edible pieces
* To make the biscuit, beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl; add the egg yolk and vanilla essence and beat until the mixture is smooth.
* Add the flour and salt and mix together to form a smooth dough, mould the dough and wrap it in cling film and leave in the fridge for 30 mins.
* Heat the oven to 180C.
* Roll the dough to ¼ in thick and using the butterfly cookie cutter cut out 14 butterfly dough shapes and arrange on a greased baking tray.
* Cook for 12 minutes or until golden and leave them to cool.
* Decorate half the biscuits; roll out your white icing, use the butterfly cutter to get the same shape and place on top of the biscuit.
* Make different coloured icing for the decoration of the wings and use the pink pieces for extra decoration
* To make the butter icing, beat the butter, then gradually beat in the icing sugar, water, and vanilla essence and spread the icing over the undecorated biscuit
* Sandwich together carefully.
* These can be put into a small cup cake box and wrapped in a ribbon bow to be given as a quirky and cute present for a birthday or thank you gift.
By Melodie Walter